The first calculator is what we call our standard calculator. This is to be used if the Buyer is not a First Time Home Buyer, or if they are purchasing a used home, not a new one.
First Time Home Buyer Exemption
The second calculator is to be used if the Buyer is a First Time Home Buyer. Just a reminder, a FTHB means the Buyer
- has never have owned an interest in a principal residence anywhere in the world at any time;
- is a citizen of or a permanent resident of Canada;
- resided in B.C. for 12 consecutive months immediately before the date they become the registered owner, or the Purchaser has filed two income tax returns as a British Columbia resident within the prior 6 years of becoming the owner;
- moves into the property within ninety-two days after registration of the purchase of the property and reside in the property for at least one year.
Newly Built Home Buyer Calculator
The third calculator is to be used if the Buyer is purchaser a Newly Built Home. To qualify for this exemption, the following criteria must be met:
The property must be newly built, as defined in the legislation
- The Buyer must be an individual and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- The property must used as the principal residence of the Buyer, who must move into the property within ninety-two days after registration of the purchase of the property and reside in the property for at least one year;
- The property must be 1.24 acres or smaller.